Monday, August 15, 2011

The Nicollet Mall on a Rainy Day Part 1

I took the above photo in 1980 and titled it The Nicollet Mall on a Rainy Day. As a kid I had a bubble umbrella just like the woman in the foreground to the left.

One of my favorite paintings from the Minneapolis Institute of Arts has always been Rainy Evening on Hennepin Avenue. I think I've loved this painting by Robert Koehler since childhood because it really captures a mood and also because it's a window into the past of Minneapolis. Hennepin Avenue looks nothing like this and hasn't for quite a long time. I like how the people are walking toward you in the painting. In my photo the people are walking away.
I recently photoshopped the photo I took more than 30 years ago to make it look a bit more like a painting. You should be able to click on it to enlarge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment